On this episode of the iDisciple Podcast, Paralympic gold-medalist Bert Burns shared his incredible journey with us. After being paralyzed in a tragic car accident with a drunk driver, Bert made the decision not to make excuses or give up. What follows is an inspiring discussion about Bert’s accident, and a humbling story about how to make the most of a horrible circumstance.
Subscribe to the iDisciple Podcast
Bert Burns is a Paralympic medalist, a successful businessman, and an inspiring speaker. As a college student, Bert was paralyzed in an accident when a drunk driver ran a red light. While recovering from his injury, Bert was introduced to the sport of wheelchair racing and went on to compete globally for over 15 years, including winning a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics.
Along with his incredible accomplishments in the racing world, Bert went on to found a successful medical supply company called Uromed and created Life After Spinal Cord Injury (LACSI), a non-profit dedicated to motivating and supporting those with spinal cord injuries. Bert lives with his wife Joy and their twin children outside of Atlanta, Georgia.
We pray that this episode will lift your spirits and teach you how to trust God when times are tough!
- Bert shares the stunning story about how the first paramedics on the scene of the accident believed he had died, and about the men who stopped to help and found a pulse on him.
- How important it was for him to finish his first wheelchair race, even if he came in last place.
- Bert tells us about how emotional it was for him to stand on the medal stand at the 1992 Olympics, 10 years after the car accident paralyzed him.
- How God was present in Bert’s life after the accident in a way that he did not expect.
- Why Bert loves using the phrase “Everybody has a wheelchair”, and how we can face the “wheelchair” in our lives.
- And many more!
Thank you so much for joining us! We hope and pray that this episode of the iDisciple podcast was enlightening and relevant to you.
Rate & Review
If you enjoyed this episode, head over to iTunes, Google Play, or Stitcher Radio and subscribe to the iDisciple Podcast. While you’re there, please feel free leave us a rating and a review. We love to hear feedback from all of our subscribers!
Do you know somebody in your life who could benefit from hearing God’s truth in this latest conversation? Please share this episode on your social networks
If you would like even more life-changing content from today’s top Christian leaders, download the iDisciple app for your preferred mobile device. Since 2013, iDisciple has been leading people into a closer relationship with God through music, sermons, and devotionals, all in the palm of your hand! Check out iDisciple to learn more, and sign up for iDisciple today.
Thanks again for tuning in. God bless!